Sunday, September 1, 2013

Benefits of House Sitting

 I have been house sitting the past couple of weeks, which I thoroughly enjoy. Someone recently asked me to look at what I like about house sitting, and specifically my current location.

The main reason I enjoy house sitting is the opportunity to feel what it is like to be in open space.  Space in the RV is limited.  The square footage in my RV is less than 250.  This is also the reason I enjoy sitting outside in the morning and the evenings.

Most of the time when I house sit, the house has a porch which offers a place to sit and watch nature and yet is an extension of one's private domain.  So often when I sit outside in the RV Parks neighbors start showing up and visiting, when I might prefer a friendly hello.  I enjoy the opportunity to sit outside and the read the paper or a chapter in a recent book.  Lately, I have enjoyed sitting outside watching the hummingbirds.  One of the places where I house sit I enjoy watching the Cardinal and listening to it chirp.  Another home owner I work with designed the porch to be a place to sit and eat watermelon while watching the neighbors.

Natural light lifts my mood.  Several of the houses where I house sit use a significant amount of natural light and I dig it.  I have noticed that when I stay in the RV and keep the windows closed I feel like I am working in Batman's Cave.  This is one of the reasons I often look for somewhere else to go and work.  As a result I have changed how I spend my time in the RV.  Although I may keep the blinds closed to promote some privacy, I do pull open the drapes and have started opening up one of the side awnings to let some natural light in.

RV Water Heaters hold 6 gallon tanks.  That is not a lot of water for washing dishes then taking a shower.  There have been times I have ran out of hot water in the midst of a shower and it makes for a less than pleasant occasion.  When house sitting I like knowing that I have more than 6 gallons of hot water and room enough to really wash my hair.  There have been times when I could not afford propane gas and did not have hot water.  Often this has been in the summer when a tepid shower is not so bad.  Water lines in RV Parks seem to not be buried as deep as they are for a house or an apartment.

As one with an active imagination, I often fall into the role of a home owner when I house sit.  A home owner without the responsibility of the mortgage and utility bills.  Then again, some people like the RV lifestyle because they do not like being a "slave to the house" which requires consistent maintenance and cleaning.

House sitting offers the opportunity for a win:win situation.  While those who own or rent the house are gone it stays occupied deterring thieves.  If there are pets they stay fed and entertained.  I have understood the pets are less anxious when the home owners return.  Please keep me in mind when booking your holiday travels.