Sunday, August 18, 2013

Games in small spaces

Recently one of my neighbors and I got together to play cards and board games.  We ended up playing the word game Bananagrams.  If you aren't familiar with the game it's a word game loosely similar to Scrabble, but you don't have a board and there are no triple letter points, actually there are no points.  We had a small TV tray, maybe 14 inches by 10 inches, for playing surface.

When I was a kid we often played games like solitaire (with cards, not computers), Rummikub, dominoes and I dare not forget Hell.  Rummikub and Hell are still family staples and we can get highly competitive.  Rummikub is played with small plastic tiles that players add to as the game progresses.  Hell, is several people playing solitaire off of each other and is a fast-paced game.  All of these games require a great deal of playing surface.  I have Rummikub, dominoes and several card decks stored somewhere in the RV, but since they seldom get used I have not been able to locate them.  Games like Solitaire and Skip-Bo require so much play surface it would also be hard to play in the RV.

When I was in college several of us used to play Spades.  It's been years, maybe since I graduated from college, since I played Spades.  My friend and I neither one can remember how to play.

I have been trying to think of some games to play in small spaces.  I have a short list: Old Maid, Go Fish, Spoons, Yahtzee and Farkle (dice).  I am open to suggestions for other games, even board games. I strongly dislike Cerebellum and Pictionary would require too much space for the charades aspect.