Monday, November 5, 2012

Repairing the skylight

I may have mentioned in an earlier post that when I moved in July the skylight broke apart and flew off the trailer.  It brought back memories of Space Shuttle Columbia when the heat tiles broke off.  Granted my trailer is not worth anything compared to the Space Shuttle and there was not the loss of life associated with it either, but it's my home.

For a while I had a plastic grocery bag stuffed with some weather proof stiff stuff.  I knew this was a very temporary fix, but there were a lot of things that needed to fall into place for me to fix it. I needed the use of a 10 foot ladder to get on top of the trailer to get an idea for the size and type of skylight I would need to replace it.  A friend offered the use of his ladder, but I would need to know the size and type of skylight before I borrowed it.  I borrowed a neighbor's ladder, although it was only 8 foot to get an idea for the size and type of skylight I needed.  I ended up getting stuck on top of my RV for an hour and half until someone came along to hold the ladder steady while I climbed down.  I did not have my cell phone on me and was afraid of what might happen if I yelled "Help."  I tried sending smoke signals, to no avail.  

I also needed someone who knew what they were doing to help me make the repair.  Stevie Ray offered his help.  While he was on top of the RV, Stevie gave me instructions on what to do inside the RV.  Since the frame for the skylight is old plastic I put a screw right threw it.  Stevie Ray taught me how to make a washer, but asked if I had a used coke can.  All I could find was an old used beer can.  He gave me instructions on how to make the washer from on top of the RV, so now I can add this to my list of skills on my resume.  This new skill has had a great deal of use since he taught me how to make it.  Now I just need a pair of snippers, to cut the can.  

Now I have a new skylight that lets in a great deal more light than the previous skylight.  I now need to borrow my brothers rivet gun to rivet the skylight on, but all things in due time.  For now I am happy to have at this point.