Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Community

Each trailer park has its own culture and nuances.  Once again I am an RV Park where there is a sense of community.  Neighbors know each other and visit with each other.  They really do know when someone is in the park that either does not belong or is not a regular. The neighbors watch out for each other, sometimes more like an overbearing parent.

One of my neighbors is "Squid".  He served in the US Navy during Vietnam.  Squid works in furniture repair, mostly antique furniture.  His father trained him in the trade.  Jarhead was a Commander in the US Marine Corps and served in Vietnam and every conflict since.  Sitting on the porch in the evening talking about the days events, it is obvious the two are always on heightened alert as cars approach conversation stops and they watch the car move from left to right it exits or after it parks.  More on these characters to follow.

Sam moves often looking for work and typically finds it easier to find work in capital cities, like Austin. Lately he has not been able to work because his heart is not working properly and he needs heart surgery, but is currently not insured.  Sam is supposed to avoid prolonged sun exposure and working in the heat.  Yesterday he picked up a side job of fixing a neighbor's sewage line.  He started sawing on the product at 6:30 am and had all the neighbors in a fuss.

Stevie Ray was living here when I first moved in, but he has since moved on.  Stevie Ray was born in Austin and picks up odd jobs doing whatever he can.  I will have to share my story about Stevie Ray next week.  He was dating Kathy, who still lives here and Kathy is known as the go-to-person for information on the local food banks; who hands out what kind of food and when they offer their services.

I know that if I need help there will be someone around to help me, most of the time.  I know that if I am sitting on the porch reading the paper or working in less than 15 minutes someone will come along and join me, welcome or not.  Our sites are close together so when Squid and Jarhead fart, I know it.

A couple of weeks ago some of the neighbors and I had a BBQ.  Everyone brought something and we threw it on the grill, just like the cavemen.  It feels good to be part of a community!