Sunday, August 12, 2012

How moving an RV is like a space shuttle losing heat tiles

I moved recently.  I had been staying in a KOA, but found this park to be unfriendly towards those who full time.  My brother provided the tow vehicle and I followed.  Weeks prior to the move I inspected the trailer tires and replaced one tire that was unsuitable.  On the day of the move the spare tire "blew up".  The tread separated from the tire and was rendered useless!  I left my wallet at the office the night before, so did not have the funds to go to the nearest tire store and replace it.  When my brother showed up he helped me with some funds for gas to pick up my wallet while he hooked up the trailer.  We then hit the road shortly after lunch.

Outside of a small hill country town my brother pulled over because he heard something wobbling.  We inspected the trailer and came to the conclusion it was the window covering on the end of the trailer since the latch fell off in the last move.  As my brother walked to his pick up he noticed one of my tires was messed up. I had not put the lug nuts on tight enough and the holes where the stems hold the wheels on were enlarged and the stems were almost eaten through.  The lug nuts were also trashed.  Since I have a 2 axle trailer we tried to jack up the one axle, to no avail.  We took the wheel and brake system off and went looking for a local tire shop.  Tire shops close at noon on Saturday, so we found a part store.  My brother replaced the stems and packed the hub in the shop.  Then we went in search of a new tire.  We bought the last one that fit my trailer in this town and returned to the trailer where the work began again.




Back on the road again!!  At some point we pulled over again and I noticed one of the tires on the trailer had a small cut on the sidewall.  We noticed rain clouds in the direction we were going.  Brother said to hope for rain to keep the tire cool.  I followed him in my car.  At one point the trailer threw a piece of tire and my pulse skyrocketed thinking the tire was coming apart on the road, but it was road trash.  Heart rate and respiration return to normal, but I am on heightened alert.  Then the sky light disintegrates.  The sky light threw pieces off the trailer like Space Shuttle Columbia threw heat tiles on re-entry.  Nothing to do but watch it happen.

Again, heart rate and respiration returns to normal.  Then the rain starts.  With the skylight gone it means rain is coming in the trailer, but if it keeps the road cool and tire from breaking apart it is a good thing.

We arrive at the new RV park.  Neighbors helped guide my brother into the space.  They said when we pulled in the tire hubs were popping.  Not a good sign!  Upon further inspection I need to replace 1 wheel, and stems for three of my wheels.  Then all but one of the wheel hubs have to be packed.  Add replacing the skylight to the To Do List.

Before my brother left he covered the skylight with a plastic grocery bag to help keep some of the bugs and debris out of the trailer for a short period of time.

My brother made the wise statement, "You are not an easy move, are you?"  Nope, I guess not.  The easiest move I made was the day his Mother in law and her husband moved me from the sales site to a temporary RV Park in the ice and snow!