Sunday, May 6, 2012

Summer's Comin'

Summer is well on it's way.  Communities in the surrounding area have already experienced temperatures over 100 degrees.  I have been taking some steps to prepare for the hot weather.  My current location does not have any mature trees to shade the RV's.  There is nothing to shade my RV from the sun and it's heat.  Although I do have an awning and it would shade one side of my RV, the awning is torn and my RV is not protected from the winds we have been experiencing.  If the awning is out and the wind picked up the awning would easily break, like a dried twig.  So I only pull the awning out when I am at the trailer.

One of the things I did last summer was going without propane.  I use propane to heat water and fuel my stove top.  The water heater puts off a great deal of heat inside the RV, in my "living room/bedroom".  I have discovered it is not warm enough for a cold shower yet.  Often the water in the ground is heated by the sun.  Sometimes it's just so hot a cold shower is refreshing.  It did take a little bit of getting used to though. 

Last summer I rarely used the stove top because it was so hot I either ate at The Gristmill where I worked or visited a drive-thru.  Although I no longer work at The Gristmill I am working at another restaurant that provides discounts for employees.  Currently this restaurant is an hour from my home, but close to my other full time work.  I am hoping to avoid visits to the drive-thru because there is not any food available I really should be eating.  Burgers, fries and coke taste good, but at some point all good things are bad for you.  I recently found a microwave steamer and have been tinkering with it.  I have used it to successfully make rice and quinoa.  My Crock Pot quit working a few months ago, so I replaced it recently so I can easily and cheaply do beans and rice.  I have also replenished the propane tank that fuels my gas grill so I can utilize it for grilling meat and vegetables.  This will help keep heat from cooking outside.  Isn't that what they did when my Great Grandparents were cooking, the kitchen was a separate building? 

One of the frustrations I was not prepared for last summer was my refrigerator not working.  With temperatures so high my refrigerator had trouble keeping up, well, was not able to keep up.  I know I could rather easily do salads, as long as the vegetables do not go bad.  I can utilize balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressings so it will not have to be refrigerated.  I can also buy a bag of ice and keep it in an ice chest at the RV, but will have to keep the raccoons out.  A friend of mine said he used to keep cans on top on the ice chest when they went camping to keep rodents out.

I have also taken to housesitting for friends when they leave town.  Currently I am staying at a friends.  I volunteered to do it and do not expect any financial compensation.  It has been great to have some space!  I hope I have also been helpful for this friend in deterring some theft.  They live close to where they work and everyone at work knows he is gone.  In two weeks I will house sit for another friend who will be gone for three weeks, hopefully helping him too.  I see it as a win-win situation.  I like it when it is win-win situation.