Friday, January 27, 2012

Sorting the important stuff

I made a relatively new friend who has shared some of his life stories with me.  He's a very interesting character who has lived a full life. 

For a period of time he was in the military, in the Marines on fleet ships in the Pacific.  When I think of Marines I think of them as foot soldiers and not on sea bearing vessels. 

This friend had a wife who was a poet and loved reading.  They have all kinds of books.  I love perusing people's book shelves to see what treasures they hold and what books they like.  One of the things this friend wants me to do is to help him sort through her poetry and decipher what may be too personal to publish.  He has almost 20 feet of her poetry.  That is a lot of writing! 

This friend is often involved in giving back to the community.  In the last little bit he has served food to the homeless, where they had more volunteers than homeless.  (As a Volunteer Coordinator I wonder when I may reach that "problem".)  He has a relative who lives nearby that he is often helping out. 

We have sorted his paperwork to establish what will be necessary for last year's taxes, family history records and etc.  Our next project is to sort through his family history documents.  Some of the documents are family tree bits and pieces and some of them are cards or notes from family.