Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Place Where Everybody Knows Your Name

I think it's a great thing to have a place where everyone knows my name.  A small community, not too big.  A place to go to when I am having a bad day or to share good news.  For the past six years or so I have become friends with the owners of a local coffee shop.  Originally I met them two days or so after they bought their first coffee shop.  Now they have sold that shop and bought another.  The business has grown.  They are always tweaking their menu.  My favorite brunch item is the shrimp and grits or the Artist omelet.  The coffee is always good! 

While I was going to school it was great to have a place where I could study and be around people.  When they bought the new place it was great to have a choice of coffee, beer and food, real food, not just sweet pastries, but a variety of tacos and made to order hamburgers. 

Their place has often been an extension of my place.  When I wanted to meet someone I often met at the coffee shop.  It has always been a place for social gathering and a place to meet new people.  Many of the friends I have today I met through this coffee shop.  I have spent many a long day, more than 10 hours, at either of their coffee shops. 

Someone once said the staff of this local coffee shop are kind of like family for me, and they are.  Sometimes we have a love-hate relationship.  While I was looking for work for a period of time I helped them out as a dishwasher.  I guess they decided I was not a good fit because they have not called me and asked me to help out in several months.  When I have something to celebrate these are the people I often turn to. 

They have been going through some growing pains and it has been difficult to watch, just like family.  Since I started visiting this place the owners married (each other) and recently have decided to separate.  For the last year or so weekends find this place busy with a line to the door.  I hope they are able to work things out in a way that benefits both of them.