Thursday, March 26, 2020

Full-timing during COVID19

I moved to a very rural area almost two years ago.  Rural as in, my neighbors are cattle,  I can throw a rock in any direction and not hit a neighbor and there's owls out here. As a result this park does not have laundry facilities or a shower.


I have not used the shower inside the RV for an extended period of time,  three years or more.  The trailer was built in 1989. The plastic in the shower has gotten brittle and has been for an extended period of time.  I've patched it, or tried to, several times. When I moved the plastic tubs I use for camping no longer fit under my trailer, so I stored them in the shower.

I have been visiting the gym on my way to work.  This allowed me a shower with more than 6 gallons of hot water. After a period of time I began actually using my membership to workout.  I was making a healthier routine.

COVID19 hit almost two weeks ago.

First they shut down the gym. I started using the sink to bathe.  I used either the office or the porch to workout. Again, settling into a new routine. 

Before COVID I had been kept awake a few nights by the distinct sound of a mouse!!! I went looking for bait. I don't need a mouse. Don't want a mouse! He must go!! I started cleaning up anything and everything thst could attract a mouse.

They closed the office where I work a week ago. I informed my manager I would not be able to work at home because I don't have internet.  I don't have cell phone reception once I leave my drive way, so how could I have internet.  There wasn't any other conversation about it. I focused on getting rid of the mouse. If I was going to have to  move to work at home, this mouse and I were not going to share this space.  I bought some bait. I got focused on cleaning up, and not on plans for work during the COVID outbreak. 

They did close the office. The city and the county where the office is issued a shelter in place order.  I had to move to work at home, or take PTO. There's one internet provider in my area, and its satellite internet, which can be unreliable. I have no where to set up a work station.  The only place for me to sit is my bed. If i hadn't been so focused on getting rid of that mouse I could have taken some measures to create a work station, but I was focused on the present moment.

I began to take steps to move in with my parents outside of Amarillo, TX.  There would be advantages to this. I could have a private office space and internet.  Management came back with a letter stating I'm essential staff and I could continue to work from the office. At that point,  I had been making moves toward moving in with my family and found it hard to put the brakes on that plan. So I continued with that plan.

That night I packed the car. I was ready to go. I would have room to move, free internet and I'd be moving from urban area to rural, with hope of being less likely to contract the virus.  The next morning,  I woke up with a sore throat.  Maybe it was allergies, maybe I was dehydrated or maybe it was COVID.  All plans to stay with my family came to a screeching halt! I ended up sleeping ALL day. That night I had a headache. I called in, as that too, is one of the symptoms.  Now that the day is done I've determined the sore throat was related to being dehydrated. I was focused on packing up my work station and then my car, not drinking water.  I determined the headache was from caffeine withdrawal.

I spent the day trying to get rid of the mouse. I've seen him, and named him Henry.  It's easier to curse at a named creature, than an unnamed creature.  I also got the shower ready to use. With the gym closed, I have been trying to take sink baths. In the midst of the virus, somehow I don't think that kind of bath is enough.

I've got the shower ready to be used as it was intended to be used.