Saturday, June 15, 2013

Small Communities

For three years or so I lived in Oak Forest RV Park in Austin.  While there I made many friends and it brought back memories of living in a small community.  I had neighbors who knew when I came home and when I left.  I had neighbors who watched after me, sometimes obsessively so, but I also knew that if I needed some help someone was near by.  It was the first RV I lived in where I felt a part of a community.  

Oak Forest RV park is on the Republic of Texas Bike Rally parade route.  The Republic of Texas Bike Rally is the largest bike rally in Texas.  People come from across the US for this event.  Thirteen years ago the Manager of the park at the time, MJ Ralph, started a pot luck parade watching party.  Those with motorcycles were invited to come eat and then leave for the parade.  Others, like me, were invited to bring a dish and eat while watching the parade.  Since it is near the event venue there are a large number of motorcyclists who would stay at this RV Park.  As well, I recall hearing motorcycles all weekend, all times of day and night.  There is something about the sound of a motorcycle.




Last night was the Republic of Texas Bike parade.  I went to the RV park to watch the parade and it was the first time I had seen many of these individuals in several months.  I was informed that MJ Ralph had passed about two weeks ago.  She had been having health problems before I left.  I had the opportunity to speak briefly with her husband who said her passing was sudden.  Those in the park had a small Memorial Service for her.  It brought back memories of living in a small community as I heard people share their memories of MJ with myself and/or with her husband.  All expressed sympathy to Bill and it appears he has support through his grief.

Some of the people at last night's event live in the park and some visit once a year for this event.  It was great to see everyone come together.  None of the other parks I have been in have social events like this park.  Oak Forest RV Park has a large pavilion with two gas grills.  They provide the gas and the residents' who use it are required to clean up after themselves.  I have lived in 5 other parks and no one does anything like this, which does contribute to the communal feel.