Saturday, June 8, 2013

Fox in the Hen House

It's summer and the weather is nice, relatively speaking.  In the evening there has been a nice breeze and the temperatures are cooler.  The cicadas are singing and the mosquitoes are not yet out.  Several of my neighbors get together outside when they get home from work and I have been joining them.  Half of them are single and the other half are married, although the wives live elsewhere.  The guys share funny stories sometimes about events in their lives and sometimes about work and I am game for a good story, even if it is fodder for the blog, like the previous post.

RV parks seem to attract individuals who are in and out of work, addicts and sometimes individuals with mental health concerns.  All of it likely stems from a need for attention to mental health.  Since this is where I live I do not set up an office here and although some of those around me know my profession, we do not visit as if I am a counselor and they are a client.

Last week I was walking across the park to take my trash to the dumpster and came across a motor home with a sign stating "Running to raise Mental Health Awareness".  There was a man and his dog outside and I learned his adult son, Chad, was running across the Southern United States to raise awareness of mental health.  He is running from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA.  You can read more about Chad and his adventures on www.runchad.com.  I introduced myself as someone who is in the mental health field.  Since they are near and heading to Austin, Live Music Capital of the World, I spoke about SIMS Foundation that provides mental health services to musicians.  This past week also marked the 18th anniversary of Sims Ellison's passing. He was a budding musician in Austin who completed suicide.  After leaving the conversation with the family working to raise awareness of mental health I ran into a neighbor, Winchester.  Winchester lost his job because he was not willing to move to Houston with the company and has been on a "3 day drunk".  He indicated he had been drinking all day for the past 3 days.

The other night after visiting with the neighbors I was sitting in my RV unwinding when someone banged on the wall of my RV.  I banged back to let them know I heard them.  A moment later there was a knock on the door and since I did not feel like company I didn't answer the door.  A short time later Winchester was calling me on the phone.  I did not want any company so I did not answer the phone.  After a few more attempts to ignore the ringing phone I answered.  Winchester offered to lend me a movie and I politely declined.  He apologized for banging on the wall and then we hung up.  A moment later there was a knock on the door.  I did not answer.  Then a loud pounding on the wall of the RV followed by an attempt to ignore the ringing phone.  After three more attempts to get some peace and quiet I turned out my light.  Quiet. I found this behavior threatening and very inconsiderate.  If I do not answer the door don't go and bang on my place.  Just because I do not answer don't try to call.  If I don't answer the door, don't keep trying to get my company.  The same with a phone call.  Creepy!!!!!

I woke up the next morning at 4:30 pissed and feeling threatened.  I called Winchester and told him to cut it out and not to do that again.  I was not happy!  He denied having done it, but I reiterated he had apologized earlier in the night for having banged on the wall of my RV.  Then he blamed it on one of the neighbors.  The neighbor said it was not him but Winchester.  It made sense since I had attempted to ignored his calls on at least three occasions.  Winchester said he had a book he wanted to lend me because he found it peaceful to read as he was going to sleep at night.  I said, fine, but it could wait until later and not to keep trying.

A short time later I got a phone call from Winchester.  I did not answer because I was trying to get ready for my day of volunteering at the university.  Then there was pounding on the wall of the RV near the shower.  Not okay!!!!  Not COOOLLLL!  So, Winchester is the one who was banging on the RV, he denied it, then blamed it on someone else, then turned around and did it again.  Damn!!!!  When I left for the day there was book on my footstep.  Really?  I do not associate peace or tranquility with this book!  When I think of it I think of anger, fear, hostility and obsession!!!!  I have no interest in reading This Book and it will take a long time before I come to a place where I could read it.  I returned it to Winchester's porch without knocking on the door or pounding on his RV.

Since then I avoid being at the RV what I can.  Even more so I avoid being outside any longer than I have to.  It's sad.  For many years any time I sit outside on any semblance of "my porch" everyone in the neighborhood shows up.  A couple weeks ago I was sitting outside reading about being with the dying.  One of the neighbors showed up, then another.  Then the two got to talking and I was not involved in the conversation at all.  I thought, damn, how did this happen?  This morning when I wanted to be outside and enjoy some peace and quiet I left the RV park and went to a nearby county park.