Sunday, March 17, 2013

SXSW 2013

This past week, past 12 days, has been SXSW.  If you are not familiar with this event it's huge across the globe.  People from around the world convene on Austin, Texas to learn and discover.  It started out as a music festival and the music is still a large part of this festival.  It also incorporates a film festival, interactive festival (gaming and computer industry) and now .edu, which is about education.  So it is four festivals rolled into one.  Several years ago Britain was sending more press to Austin than all of the United States.  Since the festival has grown I do not know if this is still the case.  Each year I try to do something to participate in, or more appropriately, experience SXSW.  Last year I went to see Texas Tornadoes outside the Bob Bullock Museum.  Some friends and I then met at a little known diner to hear her friend play.

This year there were several shows I wanted to see and several films on my "watch list."  I could attend the films as long as it was not the first showing and if I got in line early enough.  They let those who prepaid for badges go first and the badges are beyond my financial means.  The fee for these movies, if you don't have the badge, is $10.  Not bad at all for a movie that has not received distribution yet and may become the next big movie in 2-3 years!  I eliminated the movies since I don't have the funds for them.  I ended up eliminating some other shows because I needed to spend my time looking for work and did not want to have to search for an hour for parking 3 miles away.

A radio DJ I follow said that SXSW is a place to discover new music.  My first reaction was, "Bull shit!"  I typically go about by finding music acts I know and like and then go to the show.  Over the week I discovered he was right!!  I do go to shows where I know some of the acts, but what ends up happening is they incorporate other artists who sound like the one I know and like.  I end up discovering new musicians!  When I do go to the film portion of the festival, I certainly end up finding new films I fall in love with.

Thursday night some friends and I went to Central Market for Latin Music Night.  The show opened with Jonas Alverez.  I had never heard of him or his band, but now I am a fan.  A few songs in to their set the lead singer invited the children up and he provided make shift instruments, including a gutted Guitar Hero guitar.  I always enjoy watching the musicians interact with each other, communicate without words over the music.  I now found myself intrigued by watching the young children interact with each other and respond to the music with their new found instruments!  I observed one young girl who insisted on playing the guitar left handed.  In visiting with her mother later, Mom said she is not left handed, but said it was more natural for her to play the guitar left handed.  We talked about Doyle Bramhall II since he plays a left handed guitar.  I saw Doyle Bramhall II and Charlie Sexton play together several times, but in one show they switched guitars.  Check out this video of Mr Bramhall and Mr Sexton:  http://youtu.be/2_B713MVxro  The night  at Central Market ended with El Tule.  They were great!  I can't remember the last time I saw so many dancers on the floor at Central Market, or as I tell my family "the grocery store."  I am still in love with the fact there is great live music at the local grocery store.

Yesterday I made plans to attend the Levon Helm tribute at Auditorium Shores. I was only introduced to Levon Helm and The Band in the last couple of years.  Levon died of cancer while I was working at Grace Hospice and his death really resonated with me for a variety of reasons.  The line up for yesterday's show was amazing.  I was looking forward to seeing Robert Randolph and the Family Band and Steve Earl.  My brother has been one of the biggest influences in my music.  It was through him that I heard the music of Robert Randolph and Steve Earl.  Last night I discovered JJ Gray and the Mofro Band, how have I not heard of him before?  Really?!!!  Amazing!  Apparently he has not been playing for the past three years because he has been sick, so I was truly blessed to be there and experience his music!  I also discovered Niki Blum who is part of the Mother Hips and has her own band, The Gramblers.  The Mother Hips did a great cover of "Long Black Veil".  Also discovered last night was the James Hunter Six and the Midnight Ramble Band.

It was a great night.  I discovered some new music, enjoyed some staples and made some new friends.