Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Coffee

Coffee,  I do like my coffee.  After a recent illness I have been taken off of caffeine.  I tried herbal tea, but it just didn't do it for me.  I missed the smell and the body of coffee.  A typical coffee pot takes too much space on the already small kitchen counter.  A typical coffee pot also poses a significant fire hazard.  RV's are already little match boxes, I don't need to add fuel to that fire. I had a neighbor who happened to be home when his coffee pot caught on fire after an electric power outage, or was it a power surge.  In the past I used a French Press coffee pot.  It often got knocked off the counter and broke.  I began looking for something else.  The new one had to meet some strict criteria:
1) small
2) plastic, or not breakable (safe)
3) easy to use

I do not need a 12 cup coffee pot.  In the past I had a 4 cup and that was just about perfect.  My daily coffee cup holds 12 oz, so I was hoping to find something that would make a 12 oz cup of coffee. 

I got tired of the French Press falling and breaking.  I didn't want anything that was going to be a fire hazard. 

It's hard enough to function early in the morning, so I was looking for something easy to use early in the morning. 

Somewhere along the way I had a cup of pour over coffee.  I started looking for a Pour Over Coffee "pot".  I was looking for a plastic one that would fit over whichever coffee mug I was using that day.  I searched all over town.  Most of what I found were large and glass.  I went to five different stores looking for this Pour Over, but finally found one!!  This coffee store also had some decaff coffee, so I decided to buy some and try it.  OMG!!!  It was honestly the best decaff coffee I have ever had!!  So often decaff has this acidic after taste.  Before I found the Pour Over  I was using instant decaf, which has to be the worst of the worst. 

The Pour Over has met all of my criteria:
1) It is small.  It make just enough for one pot of coffee
2) I was able to find a plastic one
3) It is easy to make.  It's as simple as starting a pot of water to boil and then pouring it over the coffee grounds.  

One of the things I hear people saying about Pour Over Coffee is that it brings out more of the natural flavors.  I have found that I like to add either cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice to my coffee grounds.  I dig it.  I have tried adding vanilla, but I always seem to add too much.